by Beth Hearn
In 2015, inspired by other community organizations’ days of service, the DBA Community Involvement Committee decided to start a lawyer-led day to encourage volunteering and to promote good relations among lawyers in the Dallas community. The result was the DBA Community Day of Service. The Day of Service provides the opportunity to participate collectively as the Dallas legal community and to encourage positive relationships between attorneys and those in the Dallas community.
Volunteering is good for the community, and it is good for YOU! Volunteering can:
- reduce stress by helping you focus on others’ needs;
- make you healthier, happier, and give you a feeling of control;
- provide valuable community services so money can be spent on local improvements;
- give you a new perspective and teach you new skills;
- strengthen the community by improving families and schools, supporting youth, and beautifying the community; and
- provide you a sense of accomplishment by giving you an opportunity to give back to the community.
According to a 2013 study by United Health Group, there are four key benefits of volunteering that make a positive impact on people’s health:
- Health: volunteers say that they feel better—physically, mentally and emotionally;
- Stress: volunteering helps people manage and lower their stress levels;
- Purpose: volunteers feel a deeper connection to communities and to others;
- Engagement: volunteers are more informed health care consumers, and more engaged and involved in managing their health.
Additionally, volunteering through the DBA Community Involvement Committee will give you an opportunity to interact with fellow DBA lawyers and judges outside of the typical work or CLE environment.
This is why the DBA Community Involvement Committee is inviting you to get involved and volunteer through the DBA’s 3rd Annual Day of Service. This year, the event is scheduled for Saturday, October 21, 2017 and will include volunteer opportunities with:
- Bonton Farms;
- Dallas Animal Services;
- Dallas Arboretum
- DVAP East Dallas Clinic (on Thursday October 19);
- Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity;
- North Texas Food Bank; and
- The Senior Source/C.C. Young Memorial Home.
Bring your spouses, children, friends, and neighbors and join the DBA Community Involvement Committee, the Christian Lawyers Association, the Dallas Asian American Bar Association, Texas Tech School of Law, and UNT Dallas College of Law for the 3rd Annual DBA Day of Service on Saturday, October 21, 2017. To sign up or to get more information, log on to www.dallasbar.org/dbacommunitydayofservice or contact the committee’s chair, Claude Smith, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Kathryn Zack at email@example.com.
Beth Hearn, attorney at law, is a member of the DBA Community Involvement Committee and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.