by Jessica Smith
At the State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting in June, the Dallas Bar Association accepted several awards for its programs and services.
The DBA received the prestigious Award of Merit for outstanding services to its more than 11,000 members and to the community; Outstanding Partnership Award for Immediate Past President Jerry Alexander’s Mural Project at the George Allen Courthouse; and a Star of Achievement Award for its Day of Civility program. In addition, Headnotes received two awards including:
- Best Substantive Law Series: Family Law articles, published September 2016: “Who’s Your…Parent?” by L. Bradley Johnson, of Bailey & Galyen; “Can My Mother-in-Law Fight Me for Custody,” by Lindsey Vanden Eykel, of KoonsFuller; and “Ensuring Divorce Doesn’t Cost Your Clients Down the Road,” by Adam Swartz, of The Swartz Law Firm & White, Jacobs & Associates
- Best Series of General Interest Articles: Athletic Director Columns by Kenneth G. Raggio, of Raggio & Raggio, P.L.L.C.
The Dallas Association of Young Lawyers and Dallas Women Lawyers Association received a Star of Achievement Award for their Mentoring Circles Project and J.L. Turner Legal Association received Best Overall Newsletter, Division II.
Various DBA members received individual awards at the annual meeting, including:
· Michelle Alden, of The Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program, received the Pro Bono Coordinator Award
· Thomas Allen, of Jones Day, received an Impact Award from the SBOT Texas Poverty Law Section
· Christian Melton Crain, of Christina Melton Crain, P.C., received a Presidential Citation
· Britney Harrison Dieng, of Goranson Bain, PLLC, received Keith L. Krueger Leadership Award from the Texas Young Lawyers Association (TYLA)
· Stephen W. Gwinn, of Suzanne I. Calvert & Associates, received the Nancy L. Garms Memorial Award from the SBOT Law-Related Education Department
· Charlie Hodges, of the Law Office of Charlie Hodges, received the Dan Price Award presented by the SBOT Family Law Section
· Lawrence R. Maxwell, Jr., of Max Maxwell Law Practice, P.C., and Anne Shuttee, of the Law Office of Anne Shuttee, received a Service Award from the SBOT Collaborative Law Section
· Justice Elizabeth Lang Miers, of the 5th District Court of Appeals, received the Samuel Pessarra Outstanding Jurist Award presented by the Texas Bar Foundation
· Timothy Newman, of Haynes and Boone, received the Outstanding First Year Director Award presented by TYLA
· Courtney Barksdale Perez, of Carter Scholer PLLC, received a TYLA President’s Award
· Julie Pettit, of The Pettit Law Firm, received the Outstanding Young Lawyer of Texas Award from TYLA
· Robin Phelan, of Robin Phelan Law, received the Banco Rotto Award from the SBOT Bankruptcy Law Section
· Kenneth Raggio, of Raggio & Raggio PLLC, and Judge Emily Miskel, of the 470th District Court, received the Joseph W. Knight Best Family Law CLE Article from the SBOT Family Law Section
· Judith W. Ross, of Judith Ross P.C., received the Michelle A. Mendez Award of Excellence from the SBOT Bankruptcy Law Section
· Ann M. Saegert, of Haynes and Boone LLP, received the Distinguished Texas Real Estate Attorney Lifetime Achievement Award from the SBOT Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section
· Hope Shimabuku, of the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, received the Champion of Diversity Award from the SBOT Asian Pacific Interest Section
· Shelly L. Skeen, of Blume Faulkner & Skeen PLLC, received the Judge Norman W. Black Award from the SBOT LGBT Law Section
· Edward V. Smith III, of Stephens-Guthrie PLLC, received an Outstanding 50-Year Lawyer Award from the Texas Bar Foundation
· Pamela St. John, of AT&T Services Inc., received the Corporate Counsel Pro Bono Award from the Texas Access to Justice Commission
· Meijken Westenskow, of Mosaic Family Services, received the Patrick Wiseman Award from the SBOT Individual Rights & Responsibilities Section
· H. Ron White, of White & Wiggins, L.L.P., received an Outstanding Achievement Award from the SBOT African American Lawyers Section
At the annual meeting, Tom Vick, of Weatherford, assumed the role as president of the State Bar, and Joe Longley, of Austin, was elected SBOT president-elect. In addition, Jerry Alexander, of Passman & Jones, P.C., and David Kent, of Drinker Biddle & Reath, LLP were elected to the State Bar Board of Directors.
Jessica D. Smith is the DBA’s Communications/Media Director. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.