Dallas Bar Association Wins State Bar Awards
The Dallas Bar Association accepted several awards for its programs and services at the State Bar of Texas (SBOT) Annual Meeting in Austin, Texas.
The State Bar’s Local Bar Services Committee selected the DBA as the recipient of the Award of Merit for outstanding services to its more than 11,000 members and to the community; Outstanding Partnership Award, for its work with the Dallas Independent School District on the Mock Voir Dire Program; a Star of Achievement Award for producing Representing Yourself in a Divorce, a guide for pro se litigants; and another Star of Achievement Award for its programs commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
In addition, Headnotes, the official newsletter of the DBA, swept the publication awards, receiving the award for Best Overall Newsletter—the highest award in the Publications Category—and several Star of Achievement Awards for outstanding articles published in Headnotes:
- Best Human Interest Article: Dawn Fowler, of Keane, Fowler & Donohue
- Best News Article: Brian A. Farlow, of Elrod, PLLC
- Best Series of Substantive Legal Articles: Karen Blakely Turner,of Karen B. Turner, PLLC; Carson Epes Steinbauer and Madison McBee, of Calabrese Huff; and Michelle Warmbrodt, of Warmbrodt & Associates
- Best Series of General Interest Articles: John G. Browning,of Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP; Lyndon F. Bittle and Jesse K. Shumway, of Carrington, Coleman, Sloman & Blumenthal, L.L.P.; and Prof. Fred Moss, of SMU Dedman School of Law
- Best Feature Story: Jessica D. Smith, DBA Communications/Media Director
The Stars of Texas Bar Awards are presented by the State Bar of Texas to recognize local bar associations for outstanding community involvement, commitment to increasing access to justice and dedication to the profession. While the publication awards honor exceptional reporting, originality and impact on the legal profession.
Various DBA members received individual awards at the annual meeting, including:
· Aaron T. Capps, of Giffith Davison; D. Lance Currie, of Carrington, Coleman, Sloman & Blumenthal, LLP; and Lacy L. Durham, of Deloitte Tax; received President’s Award of Merit, presented by the Texas Young Lawyers Association (TYLA). Durham also received the Outstanding Achievement Award, presented by the State Bar of Texas African American Law Section
· Bill Gardner, of Macdonald Devin, P.C., received the Keith L. Krueger Leadership Award, presented by TYLA
· W. John Glancy, of Law Office of W. John Glancy, received Lola Wright Foundation Award, presented by the Texas Bar Foundation
· Hon. Bonnie Goldstein, of Bonnie Lee Goldstein, P.C., received the Michael L. O’Neal Outstanding Jurist Gavel Award, presented by the SBOT Municipal Judges Section
· Michael K. Hurst, of Gruber Hurst Johansen Hail Shank, received the TYLA Outstanding Mentor Award
· Michele Wong Krause, of the Michele Wong Krause Law Firm, received a Presidential Citation for being instrumental in the create of the Texas Bar private Insurance Exchange
· Judge Eric V. Moyé, of the 14th Judicial District Court, received the Distinguished Jurist Award, presented by the SBOT African American Law Section
· Mandy Price, of Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP, received the TYLA Outstanding Young Lawyer of Texas Award
· Paul K. Stafford, of the Stafford Law Firm, P.C., received the Trailblazer Award, presented by the SBOT African American Law Section
· Sid Stahl, received the Outstanding 50 Year Lawyer Award, presented by the Texas Bar Foundation
The Dallas Bar Association is a professional, voluntary organization of more than 11,000 Dallas-area attorneys. To find out more, log on to www.dallasbar.org.