DBA Earns State Bar Awards
by Jessica Smith
At the State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting on June 23, the Dallas Bar Association accepted numerous awards for its programs and services.
This year, the State Bar’s Local Bar Services Committee selected the DBA as the recipient of seven Star of Achievement Awards. The first award was presented to the DBA’s Mock Voir Dire Project, which is a program that gives high school students the opportunity to visit the Dallas County courthouse, learn about the jury system and participate in a voir dire demonstration by several accomplished trial lawyers.
This year’s event was held at the George C. Allen Courts building on May 6, 2011, and had participation from nearly 300 high school students from nine different high schools in the Dallas ISD. Kirby Drake, of Klemchuk Kubasta LLP, and Judge Martin Hoffman, of the 68th District Court, led the program, which included a panel discussion concerning the importance of the jury system. Panel participants included Judge Hoffman, Lisa Blue, of Baron & Blue, Dick Sayles, of Sayles Werbner, and Kirk Willis, of Helms & Greene, LLC, and moderator Michael Lyons, of Deans & Lyons, L.L.P.
Headnotes swept the publications category, receiving the award for Best Overall Newsletter—the highest award in the Publications Category. Several Star of Achievement Awards were also presented to the following authors for outstanding articles published in Headnotes:
- Best Feature Story: “After 50 Years, Atticus Finch Still Sets the Mark for Lawyers,” by Gregory W. Sampson, published in the May 2010 issue.
- Best Human Interest Article: “DBA Salutes our Veterans,” in the November 2010 issue, which included articles written by Hugh Fuller, Michael Regitz, Andy Ryan,Dan Scott and Jessica D. Smith.
- Best News Article: “Lisa Blue Baron Donates $100,000 to Equal Access to Justice Campaign,” written by Alicia Hernandez, published in the December 2010 issue.
- est Series of Substantive Legal Articles: Sports & Entertainment law articles published in December 2010 issue: “The Changing World of Music Royalties” by Charles McGarry; “Sex, Drugs and Wheaties Boxes: Player Endorsements,” by Kate Jett and Andrew Medeiros;and“Coming to a Theater Near You: From Script to Screen,” by Sally Helppie.
- Best Series of General Interest Articles: The Business of Law Column 2-part series, “Social Media Networking and Lawyers: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly,” by Mary Louise Hopson.
Various DBA members received individual awards at the annual meeting, including:
- Talmage Boston and Terry Bentley Hill received Presidential Citations
- Omar J. Alaniz received the Outstanding Young Lawyer Award
- Christina Melton Crain received the Outstanding Mentor Award
- Kendall Hayden received the Outstanding First-Year Director Award
- Robert H. Mow, Jr. received the Ronald D. Secrest Outstanding Trial Lawyer Award
- William L. Wallander received the Outstanding Service Award
- Judge Robert C. McGuire received the Banco Rotto Award
- Lacy L. Durham and Sarah Rogers received a Texas Young Lawyers Association Presidents’ Award of Merit.
At the annual meeting, Bob Black of Beaumont assumed the role as president of the State Bar. F.R. “Buck” Files of Tyler will become president-elect.
Jessica D. Smith is the DBA’s Communications/Media Director. She can be reached at email@example.com.