DBA Recognized by State Bar
by Jessica Smith
At the State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting on June 20, the Dallas Bar Association accepted several awards for its programs and services.
This year, the State Bar’s Local Bar Services Committee selected the DBA as the recipient of four awards. The DBA was the recipient of the Award of Merit for best overall programs, which included the successful DBA Diversity Summit and a record-breaking total of $834,000 for the DVAP Campaign for Equal Access to Justice, the Diversity Summit and the Trial Academy. In addition, Headnotes received three awards including:
- Best Feature Story: “Professionalism: Not Just Honesty and Civility,” by Al Ellis, of Sommerman & Quesada, L.L.P., published April 2013
- Best Human Interest Article (two-parts): “30 Years of DVAP: The Inky Blue Water,” by Will Pryor, and “30 Years of DVAP: DVAP Through the Years” by Michelle Alden, DVAP Managing Attorney, published October 2012
- Best Series of Substantive Legal Articles: Family Law and Probate, Trust & Estate Law articles, published April 2013: “Families With Children With Disabilities” by George Shake, of Geary, Porter & Donovan, P.C.; “Family Building—Doing It The Legal Way” by Jenny L. Womack, of Jenny L. Womack, P.C.; and “How to Answer Ten Family Law Questions” by Kelly McClure and Chris Meuse, of McClure Law Group.
Various DBA members received individual awards at the annual meeting, including:
· Beverly Godbey, of Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP; Vincent Perini, of Vincent Walker Perini, P.C.; Frank E. Stevenson, of Locke Lord LLP; and Robert Witte, of Strasburger & Price, LLP; received Presidential Citations
· Stephen R. Akers, of Haynes and Boone, LLP, received the Distinguished Texas Probate Attorney Lifetime Achievement Award
· George W. Bramblett, Jr., of Haynes and Boone, LLP, received the Luther H. Soules Award for Excellence in Litigation
· John G. Browning, of Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP, received the Dan Rugeley Price Award, presented by the Texas Bar Foundation
· Brittany K. Byrd, of Winstead PC, received the TYLA Outstanding Young Lawyer of Texas Award
· George C. Chapman, of Thompson & Knight LLP, and Alan D. Feld, of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, L.L.P., received the Outstanding 50-Year Lawyer Award, presented by the Texas Bar Foundation
· Nina Cortell, of Haynes and Boone, LLP, received the Chief Justice Jack Pope Award, presented by the Teas Center for Legal Ethics
· Cecelia R. Cox, of Resource Center of Dallas, received the LGBT Judge Norman W. Black Award
· Josiah M. Daniel, III, of Vinson & Elkins LLP, received the award for Outstanding Law Review Article, presented by the Texas Bar Foundation
· Lacy L. Durham, of Deloitte Tax LLP, received a TYLA President’s Award of Merit
· Curtis L. Frisbie, Jr., of Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP, received the Distinguish Counselor Award, presented by the Antitrust & Business Litigation Section
· Hon. Harlin D. “Cooter” Hale, of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, received the TYLA Outstanding Mentor Award
· Hon. James M. “Jay” Patterson received the Judge Merrill Hartman Pro Bono Judge Award
· Michelle Reed, of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, L.L.P., received a Presidential Citation
· Charles W. “Charlie” Spencer, of Spencer & Associations PLLC, received the Distinguished Texas Real Estate Attorney Lifetime Achievement Award
· Peter S. Vogel, of Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP, received the Gene Cavin Award
At the annual meeting, Lisa M. Tatum, of San Antonio, assumed the role as president of the State Bar. In addition, DBA members Wm. Frank Carroll, of Cox Smith Matthews Inc., and Tino A. Ramirez, of Ramirez & Associates, P.C., were elected to the State Bar Board of Directors, and Rebekah Steely Brooker, of Passman & Jones, assumed the role of President-elect of Texas Young Lawyers Association.
Jessica D. Smith is the DBA’s Communications/Media Director. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.