User menu

Lawyer Referral Service FAQ’s

1. How does the service work?

We do not answer legal questions or give legal advice.

To begin, fill out the online form or call the Lawyer Referral Service at (214) 220-7444 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays. Se habla Español. You will then be interviewed over the phone by an LRS staff member to determine the nature of the problem. You will then be given the name of a lawyer that has experience with your type of legal problem. Once you have the attorney's name and information, it is your responsibility to set up the initial appointment. A $20 initial fee will be charged for the first 30-minute consultation with the lawyer. If further legal service is required and you choose to hire the lawyer, fee arrangements will be made between you and your lawyer.

2. Is the attorney guaranteed to represent me?

We can not guarantee that any attorney we refer will be able to assist you. Just as we cannot require you to hire the attorney, we cannot require the attorney to assist you. Sometimes after speaking with a client the attorney determines that what the client wants to have done is much more involved than initially thought, or that it would not be cost effective to retain an attorney to handle a particular matter. In that event, the attorney would likely discuss with the client additional options other than retaining an attorney.

3. How much is the attorney going to charge?

Attorneys set their own fees. The Lawyer Referral Service does not set either minimum or maximum fees for the attorneys we refer. An initial fee of $20 for a 30-minute session will be charged through the LRS program. However, if further legal service is required and you choose to hire the attorney, fee arrangements will be made between you and your lawyer.

4. Can I get a referral for someone else?

No. We can not provide third party referrals. We can only speak with the client or someone who holds a valid Power of Attorney for him/her.

5. I already have an attorney but they are slow to respond and doesn't always answer my questions. Can I use this service to get a second opinion?

Once you have retained an attorney, no one else can communicate with you regarding the matter. If you no longer want the attorney to represent you, you will need to terminate the relationship with your attorney by sending him/her a certified letter. You should also request a copy of your file. Once you have received the card back from the Post Office indicating that the attorney has received the letter, you may attempt to find another attorney. If you are having difficulty communicating with your attorney, you may wish to contact the State Bar of Texas Client Attorney Assistance Program at 1-800-932-1900.

6. I am outside Dallas County. Will the attorney still be able to represent me?

The DBA Lawyer Referral Service refers to Dallas and Collin County residents. For those outside these counties, other options would be the State Bar LRIS (1-800-252-9690), or the American Bar Association Directory for national LRS programs.

7. Do you handle complaints against attorneys?

We do not. Complaints against attorneys are handled by the State Bar of Texas' Grievance and Ethics Office. Contact them online here.


Back to LRS Homepage


Back to Top