The Dallas Bar Association (DBA) accepted several awards for its programs and services at the State Bar of Texas (SBOT) Annual Meeting in Dallas, Texas.
The State Bar’s Local Bar Services Committee selected the DBA as the recipient of the prestigious Award of Merit for outstanding services to its members and the community; Outstanding Partnership Award for Immediate Past President Jerry Alexander’s Mural Project at the George Allen Courthouse; and a Star of Achievement Award for its Day of Civility program.
Additionally, Headnotes, the official newsletter of the DBA, received two Star of Achievement Awards for outstanding articles written by DBA members and published in Headnotes:
Best Substantive Law Series: L. Bradley Johnson, of Bailey & Galyen; Lindsey Vanden Eykel, of KoonsFuller; and Adam Swartz, of The Swartz Law Firm & White, Jacobs & Associates
Best Series of General Interest Articles: Kenneth G. Raggio, of Raggio & Raggio, P.L.L.C.
The awards are presented by the State Bar of Texas to recognize local bar associations for outstanding community involvement, commitment to increasing access to justice and dedication to the profession. The publication awards honor exceptional reporting, originality, and impact on the legal profession.
Various DBA members received individual awards at the annual meeting, including:
· Michelle Alden, of The Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program, received the Pro Bono Coordinator Award
· Thomas Allen, of Jones Day, received an Impact Award from the SBOT Texas Poverty Law Section
· Christian Melton Crain, of Christina Melton Crain, P.C., received a Presidential Citation
· Britney Harrison Dieng, of Goranson Bain, PLLC, received Keith L. Krueger Leadership Award from the Texas Young Lawyers Association (TYLA)
· Stephen W. Gwinn, of Suzanne I. Calvert & Associates, received the Nancy L. Garms Memorial Award from the SBOT Law-Related Education Department
· Charlie Hodges, of the Law Office of Charlie Hodges, received the Dan Price Award presented by the SBOT Family Law Section
· Lawrence R. Maxwell, Jr., Attorney at Law, and Anne Shuttee, of the Law Office of Anne Shuttee, received a Service Award from the SBOT Collaborative Law Section
· Justice Elizabeth Lang Miers, of the 5th District Court of Appeals, received the Samuel Pessarra Outstanding Jurist Award presented by the Texas Bar Foundation
· Timothy Newman, of Haynes and Boone, received the Outstanding First Year Director Award presented by TYLA
· Courtney Barksdale Perez, of Carter Scholer PLLC, received a TYLA President’s Award
· Julie Pettit, of The Pettit Law Firm, received the Outstanding Young Lawyer of Texas Award from TYLA
· Robin Phelan, of Robin Phelan Law, received the Banco Rotto Award from the SBOT Bankruptcy Law Section
· Kenneth Raggio, of Raggio & Raggio PLLC, and Judge Emily Miskel, of the 470th District Court, received the Joseph W. Knight Best Family Law CLE Article from the SBOT Family Law Section
· Judith W. Ross, of Judith Ross P.C., received the Michelle A. Mendez Award of Excellence from the SBOT Bankruptcy Law Section
· Ann M. Saegert, of Haynes and Boone LLP, received the Distinguished Texas Real Estate Attorney Lifetime Achievement Award from the SBOT Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section
· Hope Shimabuku, of the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, received the Champion of Diversity Award from the SBOT Asian Pacific Interest Section
· Shelly L. Skeen, of Blume Faulkner & Skeen PLLC, received the Judge Norman W. Black Award from the SBOT LGBT Law Section
· Edward V. Smith III, of Stephens-Guthrie PLLC, received an Outstanding 50-Year Lawyer Award from the Texas Bar Foundation
· Pamela St. John, of AT&T Services Inc., received the Corporate Counsel Pro Bono Award from the Texas Access to Justice Commission
· Meijken Westenskow, of Mosaic Family Services, received the Patrick Wiseman Award from the SBOT Individual Rights & Responsibilities Section
· H. Ron White, of White & Wiggins, L.L.P., received an Outstanding Achievement Award from the SBOT African American Lawyers Section
The Dallas Bar Association is a professional, voluntary organization of more than 11,000 Dallas-area attorneys. To find out more, log on to www.dallasbar.org.